Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (Clare’s Law)

The Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme, or 'Clare’s Law' as it’s known, gives people a formal way to apply for a police check into the past of a person where there is a concern that a relationship may be, or may become abusive. This is available to anyone in a relationship or who has concerns for another person who is in a relationship. 

Proposals for action came following a campaign for a so-called ‘Clare’s Law’, named after Clare Wood who was murdered in February 2009 by a man she had met on an internet dating site who had a history of violence.

If police checks show that the individual has a record of abusive offences, or there is other information to indicate the person you know is at risk, Cheshire Police will consider sharing this information with the person(s) best placed to protect the person at risk.

The scheme aims to enable potential victims to make an informed choice on whether to continue the relationship, and provides help and support to assist them when making that choice.

Who can ask for a disclosure?

A disclosure under this scheme involves the sharing of specific information about an individual, with the person making the application, or a third person, to protect a potential victim from domestic violence.

  • Anyone can make an application about a person who is in an intimate relationship, where there is a concern that person may harm their partner
  • Any concerned third party, such as a parent, neighbour or friend can make an application not just the potential victim
  • However, the third party making the application would not necessarily receive any information about the individual concerned. It may be more appropriate for someone else to receive the information, such as the victim or another person who is best placed to protect a potential victim.

How do I make an application?

Anyone can make an application to the police about a person who is in an intimate relationship with someone where there is a concern that the person may present a risk of harm to their partner. Contact the police to make an application. Initially you can contact us to enquire about the scheme by:

  • Visiting a police station
  • Phoning 101, the non-emergency number for the police
  • Speaking to a police officer on the street.

If you believe there is an immediate risk of harm to someone, or it is an emergency, you should always call 999.

Further information can be found in the 'Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme - Find out more' booklet.