How to apply for a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate
Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.
Renew a shotgun certificate
How do I apply?
You can apply online.
You'll need to have read the guidance notes before making your application.
How much does it cost?
It costs £49.
How long does it take?
It can take up to eight weeks to grant a new certificate.
You'll need the following to complete your application:
- a full copy of your current certificate(s), including table one and two
Your contact details, including:
- email address
- phone number
- work contact details (if not unemployed or retired)
- previous addresses if you haven’t lived at your current address for more than five years
Health and medical information:
- details of any relevant conditions you have which need to be disclosed (you’ll find a list of those in the guidance notes)
- your GP or practice address, postcode and phone number
- previous GP or practice information if you haven’t been registered with your current GP or practice for ten years or more
- if, during the last ten years, there have been times when you haven’t been registered with a GP or practice in the UK, we’ll need to know about this and will ask why this was and if there is any information you can give us about this, for example if you’re in the armed services and were posted abroad
- your completed GP letter - you'll need to download this and have your GP fill it in. Then send it to us with your application.
Details about any offences or written cautions (including speeding but not parking offences or fixed penalty notices):
- details of the offence, including the date (month and year)
Details about the shotgun(s) and ammunition you own:
- security arrangements - how and where the shotgun(s) will be stored, whether the arrangements are shared (and, if they are, the details of who they are shared with)
The details of one referee you've known for more than two years, including:
- their date and place of birth
- their occupation
- contact details
Please note: referees can't be a member of your family, a serving police officer or staff, or a registered firearms dealer.
- one passport-style photo which is no larger than 1MB in size and is a .jpg/.jpeg
- credit or debit card details to make your online payment
Step 1: Complete the online version of the form.
Step 2: Upload your photo with your application.
Step 3: Make your payment online.
Please note: if you don't send your GP letter within seven days your application will stop and you'll be given a refund for any payment.
The form will take about 20 minutes to complete and you won't be able to save your application as you go, so it will need to be done in one sitting.
Click the 'Start' button below to start your online application.
What happens after I apply?
We'll get in touch as quickly as possible if we have any questions about your application or need to ask for more information.Start