Police want you to get the lived in look to stop Christmas coming early for burglars across Cheshire.
While no doubt there are a 101 things on your ‘to do list’ for the festive season, all Cheshire Police wants for Christmas is for you to add one more thing to the list – securing your home.
We want to make sure your new laptop or tablet, or shiny new bike doesn’t end up in the wrong hands, leaving you and your family without your hard earned gifts on Christmas Day.
Superintendent Kev Bennett said: "We’re urging you to remain security conscious and to do everything you can to reduce the risk of being targeted by thieves. Take some time to assess your current security measures at home and see if they could be improved.
"It’s very easy, particularly at this time of year when people are very busy, to be distracted and to forget little things such as making sure doors and windows are locked. Sadly though, this is also the time of year when houses with valuables in are potentially attractive to the opportunist thief.”
You can make your house look lived in and keep your home safe and secure, by taking a few simple steps:
• Consider using a timer to set your lights and radio to come on while you’re out
• Make sure all your doors and windows are secure
• Don’t leave valuables including purses, handbags and car keys on display or near external doors
• Don’t leave keys near the door or in view
• Consider security marking valuable items with your house number and postcode with a UV pen, or mark it using property marking kits which consist of a traceable liquid to forensically mark valuables
We also want you to be vigilant over the festive period and report any suspicious activity to police.
Cheshire Police & Crime Commissioner David Keane said: "Look out for your neighbours, if you see suspicious activity in your area contact police on 101. Support officers working over Christmas and New Year by helping them to make the festive season safer for all.”
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to see our messages on how to stay safe and prevent crime. Here’s our latest video…. https://youtu.be/2jWk8ppmfDo
For more information on getting the lived in look and protecting your home, got to www.cheshire.police.uk/advice-and-support/home-safety-and-security/burglary/