Prison sentences handed to Crewe Alexandra supporters following FA Cup violence Date published: 22nd July 2016 10.41am

Four Crewe Alexandra supporters have been handed prison sentences after being convicted of their involvement in violence after an FA Cup game in November 2015.

Violence flared shortly after the final whistle of the game against Eastleigh, which Crewe lost 1-0.

A small number of supporters jumped onto the pitch where a steward was assaulted. Further scuffles between supporters and stewards then took place in the stands. A short time after, fighting again broke out between rival groups on Gresty Road.

Cheshire Police seized various CCTV, mobile camera footage and officers from the Football Unit were able to identify 10 males as being involved.

All were arrested and pleaded guilty to charges of violent disorder when they appeared in court.

Six adult defendants appeared for sentence at Chester Crown Court today, Thursday 21 July.

Rhys Holt, 20, of James Atkinson Way, Crewe, Howard Lawford, 21, of Ernest Street, Crewe, and Joshua Dixon, 21, of Newfield Drive, Crewe were all sentenced to a period of six months imprisonment.
All three were handed football banning orders for a period of six years.

Oliver Edwards, 20, of Winghay Road, Kidsgrove was sentenced to six months imprisonment, which was suspended for a period of 12 months. He was also told that he must carry out 150 hours unpaid work.

Ashley Dunn, 19, of Remer Street, Crewe, and James Redden, 18, of Nantwich Road, Crewe were both handed 12 month community orders and told that they must carry out 120 hours of unpaid work.

Edwards, Dunn and Reddan were also handed football banning orders, which are to last for four years.

Four youths, who cannot be named, had previously appeared before South Cheshire Youth Court in May this year where they all received 6 month referral orders, and were told that they had to pay a victim surcharge of £15 and costs of £85. All received football banning orders lasting for a period of 4 years.

Superintendent Luke McDonnell from Cheshire Police said: “This was one of the worst football related incidents of violence that we have experienced in Cheshire for many years.

“This was reflected in the Crown Prosecution Service’s decision to charge those responsible with offences of violent disorder and the subsequent sentences handed to the offenders by the Court.

“The behaviour displayed by these males will not be tolerated at games within Cheshire and we will continue to robustly use the legislation at our disposal to ensure that decent law-abiding fans can continue to enjoy football in a safe and secure environment.”