Robbers jailed for more than seven years Date published: 30th June 2016 2.23pm

Two well-known criminals in Widnes have been jailed for more than seven years following a robbery, which left a woman visibly distressed and shaken.

Anthony James Furlong, 28 of Logwood Road, Huyton, Liverpool approached the victim from behind on December 22, as she walked to work.

He pulled her bag from her arm and held a knife to her face, demanding she hand him her belongs. The woman then let go of her bags, lost her footing and fell to the floor. Furlong then made off in a vehicle that was parked nearby.

Furlong robbed the victim of £300 of her Christmas savings, two bags including a designer handbag as well as shopping vouchers, a purse and credit cards.

Detectives working on the case found CCTV footage of Furlong and Taylor Leigh Black aged 22 of Houghton Street, Widnes using the victim’s bank card.

A short time after the robbery, one of the cards was used at an ATM to draw out £250. Police used CCTV near the ATM, which showed Black and Furlong withdrawing money from the account.

The same card was also used online where they spent around £176 on jewellery and music, which was delivered to the home of Black.

CCTV footage also caught Black and Furlong spending £160 in a supermarket on house hold items and Christmas presents.

Furlong was charged with robbery and theft as well as possession of a class A drug with intent to supply.

Black was charged with conspiracy to commit robbery, fraud and theft as well as possession of a class A drugs, she later pleaded guilty to handling stolen goods.

Detective Inspector, Ian Whiley of Widnes CID, said: “This conviction comes off the back of excellent work carried out by detectives in ensuring Furlong and Black were put away for their crimes, which left the victim visibly shaken and distressed.”

Both Black and Furlong pleaded guilty at Chester Crown Court on 28 June 2016.

Furlong was sentenced to five years and eight months and Black was jailed for two years.