In the autumn of 1856, the Court of Quarter Sessions set up a special committee of Justices to advise on the application of the County and Borough Police Act 1856. The Justices were now obliged to establish a paid police force for the whole of each county.
The first full Cheshire Police committee met at the Crewe Arms Hotel, Crewe, on 3rd February 1857 under the chairmanship of Mr. Trafford Trafford. Cheshire Constabulary was officially formed on 20th April 1857. The first Chief Constable was Captain Thomas Jonnes Smith.
Headquarters - from Chester to Winsford
1857: Cheshire Constabulary’s first headquarters were established at 4 Seller Street, Chester
1862: Headquarters moves to 1 Egerton Street, Chester
1870: Headquarters moves to 113 Foregate Street, Chester
1883: A new headquarters was built at 142 Foregate Street, Chester
1967: A new headquarters was built on Nuns Road, Chester (built between 1964 and 1967)
2003: Bigger premises were needed, with a purpose-built building at Clemonds Hey, Winsford