During this major incident, we are continuing to provide all the essential services you expect from us, while supporting the NHS and other organisations to keep everyone safe.

If you are contacting us about a policing matter we may ask if you are self-isolating in order to manage the risk to officers and staff who may attend.

Please visit the Gov.uk website for the latest information on Coronavirus.

The Coronavirus situation has brought about an unprecedented public health emergency - and our top priorities are to maintain the best service to the public, protect officers and staff and support the national response.

If you report an incident we will look into it and make an assessment. Unfortunately we are unable to respond to every report received.

What is the police's advice nationally? 

Visit the page below for a detailed collection of information.

What are Cheshire Police doing?

We’re pleased to see the public support for our people and the gestures of generosity to those working around the clock to keep people safe across Cheshire.

We are in this together and everyone of us has a role to play by following government advice.

You can help us by using digital contact channels, if you can, and by following announcements from the government for the latest information and advice. We cannot respond directly to all reports received but you will receive an individual contact reference number.

For all other non-emergencies, please report crime, or share information with us, online. This should take around 15 minutes. Please help us keep 101 for those who do not have access to the website.

We have also compiled Cheshire specific frequently asked questions. Please check back frequently, as the advice is liable to change as the situation develops.

Yes, the welfare and safety of local communities remains our top priority.

We’re asking people where possible to use our online reporting tools. 

The public should continue to call 999 in an emergency.

You should not call police to report cases of coronavirus.

We will continue to investigate all crimes.

All suspects who are due to answer police bail at one of Cheshire’s three custody suites are now required to telephone 24-hours before their scheduled appointment.

They will then be provided with the relevant advice and guidance in relation to their bail to help avoid any unnecessary contact where possible.

Below are the telephone numbers for the Cheshire Constabulary custody suites:

  • Chester (Western Custody): 01606 366270
  • Middlewich (Eastern Custody): 01606 366370
  • Runcorn (Northern Custody): 01606 366470

All suspects are requested to have their custody reference number ready when calling.

Forces will be continuing their normal service unless there is a significant impact on our ability to do so.

Chiefs will be considering the safest approach in each of their operations and will be briefing officers on aspects of hygiene and safety if these are executed.

Officers will engage, explain the circumstances and encourage people to comply with the legislation.

If necessary officers will use enforcement powers but only as a last resort.

The National Police Chiefs’ Council are asking employers to consider providing paid leave to Special Constables so they can support the police service in managing the impact of the Coronavirus.

There are currently more than 10,000 Special Constables in the UK - warranted officers with all the powers of a regular police officer who volunteer their services.

They are deployed in their local communities to support the day-to-day operations of their forces and, crucially, provide resilience at critical times.

Cheshire Constabulary will follow the national guidance given to us.

Public Health England has published guidance to first responders and this has been circulated to all police forces for their officers and staff to follow.

Officers and staff have been issued with personal protective equipment (PPE) to minimise the risk of Covid-19 for when they go out on duty.

We are working closely with the Government and PHE to manage supplies of PPE like gloves and masks

We are not anticipating that we will need the support of the Army. However, this option remains open

Please ask your local PCSO / Beat Officer for more information or email Designing Out Crime Officer Alison Gabbott via Alison.gabbott@cheshire.pnn.police.uk. It may take a day or so to answer any queries due to an increase in demand. For regular mailing list updates please email Alison.

Officers on patrol have seen a number of licensed premises with blinds shut which makes it difficult for officers to check the premises.

Simple steps you can take to keep your business secure

Cheshire Constabulary would like to remind the public about helpdesk services available at local police stations, now that lockdown measures have eased.


Residents who need to report an issue to the Constabulary via the helpdesks can do so by turning up at a station and using the telephone outside.


The telephone connects to the main control room 24 hours a day.


Anyone who rings up will be asked a series of screening questions in relation to coronavirus to assist us in safeguarding our staff and other members of the public.

If there are no concerns in relation to health, the member of public will be able to enter and speak to the helpdesk staff.


Some issues could be resolved during the conversation with the switchboard, which might enable some members of the public not having to enter a station.


Information and issues can also be reported to Cheshire Constabulary online via https://www.cheshire.police.uk/ro/report/ . In an emergency, where a crime is taking place or there is a danger to life, always dial 999.


The following helpdesks are open to the public:

  • Blacon – 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday – 8am to 6pm on Sunday
  • Congleton – 9am to 5pm - Monday to Friday
  • Crewe – 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday – 8am to 6pm on Sunday
  • Ellesmere Port – 8am to 4pm – Monday to Friday
  • Knutsford - 9am to 5pm – Monday to Friday
  • Macclesfield – 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday – 8am to 6pm on Sunday
  • Nantwich – 9am to 5pm – Monday to Friday
  • Northwich - 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday – 8am to 6pm on Sunday
  • Runcorn – 9am to 5pm – Monday to Friday
  • Stockton Heath  - 9am to 5pm – Monday to Friday
  • Warrington – 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday – 8am to 6pm on Sunday
  • Widnes – 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday – 8am to 6pm on Sunday
  • Wilmslow – 9am to 5pm – Monday to Friday


Services on our website

Many of the services that we provide at our helpdesks can now be carried out online via this website.  We are experiencing some increased waiting times for non-emergency matters at the moment and we recommend trying the website first.

If you do need to speak to us in person and the matter does not require an urgent police response you can phone us on 101 and select option 1 to request an appointment at your nearest of the above helpdesks.

Essential and non-essential Travel

This is not a policing matter however we have been asked this question a number of times.

Under the legislation amendment, anything related to the sale or letting of a property such as visiting estate agents and or preparing a house for a move is allowed.

Our road safety and speed checks will continue as long as we have the resources to support them.

Speeding and other road safety checks are an important part of our approach to preventing road collisions - the most serious of which would put extra strain on the NHS at a time when it is already under extreme pressure.

We would always advise that only one person from each household should go to do an essential shop. We do understand that there are occasions where this may not be possible, if this is the case, we would advise as few people as possible should enter a shop and the rest of the household should remain at home.

You can now leave your house to take part in unlimited exercise and visit a public space. This must be with your household or in gathering of up to six including people from outside your household as long as you follow government guidance and maintain social distancing.

Anyone who wishes to drive to a national park or green space can do so but you must maintain social distancing while you are there.

The public cannot use areas such as playgrounds, outdoor gyms or ticketed outdoor leisure venues due to a higher risk of close contact and touching surfaces.

Anyone wishing to travel to public spaces in Wales and Scotland for something that is not a reasonable excuse could be in breach of regulations in those countries.

Groups of up to six people from different households are now able to meet outdoors, including in gardens and other private outdoor spaces, across England. You must remain two metres away from those who are from a different household. You must not spend time inside the homes of friends and families other than to access the garden or use the toilet.

You must try to avoid seeing people from too many households in quick succession. Those who are extremely vulnerable and are shielding should continue to do so however they can now leave their home if they wish as long as they maintain strict social distancing.

For more information on protecting people who are clinically extremely vulnerable visit the Governments website with specific advice.

Social distancing and self-isolation

Do not call the police to report that you are self isolating or that you are infected with Covid-19 coronavirus.

If you are unable to answer bail due to self-isolation because you, or someone you live with, has symptoms (not social distancing) please refer to the advice above.

For more information on what to do if you suspect you may have coronavirus, visit the NHS 111 website and Public Health England.

If you are contacting us about a policing matter we may ask if you are self-isolating in order to manage the risk to officers and staff who may attend.

We advise that you should only be walking someone else’s dog if they are unable to do so themselves. This includes people who are key workers, those who are at particular risk from coronavirus, those who are self-isolating or the vulnerable and over 70s. Tips on how to walk someone else’s dog safely can be found via https://www.rspca.org.uk/coronavirus/dogwalking

Yes, as long as you keep yourself and your dog at least two metres away from others and avoid all contact with other people’s pets. All walkers should keep dogs on leads at this time to ensure social distancing and allows owners to avoid coming into contact with one and other. At the earliest opportunity, you should wash your hands for at least 20 seconds.


We would advise that people should continue to work from home wherever possible.

If you cannot work from home, you should travel to work if your workplace is open.

If you or anyone in your household has coronavirus symptoms, however mild, you should not leave the house or go to work.

The Government have issued COVID-19 Secure safety guidelines to ensure workplaces are safe for employees.

All workers are advised to avoid public transport wherever possible and are being asked to walk, cycle or drive to work.

If you have no other option but to use public transport, social distancing guidance must be followed.

We would urge employers to ensure that employees are able to follow the Public Health England guidelines. 

This includes maintaining a two-metre distance from others and washing hands with soap and water often for at least 20 seconds.

If you normally drive to work with people from other households, it is advised that you find a different way to travel such as walking, cycling or using your own vehicle.

Anyone who has no other alternative but to travel with people from outside their household group should try to share the vehicle with the same people each time and keep to small groups of people at any one time.

We would urge anyone who is doing this to please the follow the Public Health England guidelines on how to keep safe.

Driving members of your own household to work is allowed.

Employers should send any worker home if they become unwell with a new continuous cough or high temperature.

When at home an employee should the follow the government’s stay at home guidance.

The local authority environmental health and trading standards officers are responsible for enforcing the regulations requiring businesses such as pubs, cinemas and theatres to close.

You can report businesses that you believe should not be open to your local Trading Standards office.