Volunteer police cadets
Our police cadet groups are complete for 2020 but if you would like to join us in 2021 please return to our website in October when you will be able to complete an online application form.
What is the Volunteer Police Cadet Programme?
The Volunteer Police Cadets programme provides an opportunity for young people aged between 15 and 18 to join the policing family, giving them an insight into community policing.
The programme has been designed to develop key life skills, enhance your CV and help to prepare you for your future career, whether this be within the police service or another profession.
The programme runs for a year and training sessions take place alternate Tuesdays from 7pm to 8.30pm. We currently run programmes throughout Cheshire with new groups starting every September.
Alongside the training sessions you will also complete 40 hours of voluntary work with the police and in your community.
At the end of the programme you can then continue volunteering within the policing family as a Special Constable or Police Support Volunteer.
You will be expected to wear a police cadet uniform throughout the programme.
What activities will I be involved in?
As a Volunteer Police Cadet, you will engage in a year of interactive training sessions including:
- Outdoor adventure team building activities
- A visit to the armoury
- A visit to the police museum
- A visit to a custody suite where prisoners are detained
What training will I receive?
- How to solve a crime
- Evidence gathering with the forensics team
- Self-defence with police officers
- Using a pocket note book (document used by officers to record information at police incidents)
What skills will I gain?
- First Aid (A course with St John’s Ambulance)
- How to plan and deliver a presentation
- CV, interview and application form techniques
- Community engagement
- Team working
You will then develop your skills further by completing 40 hours of voluntary work in your community.
At the end of the programme, you will graduate and can continue volunteering for the Constabulary.
What hours do I have to give?
As a Volunteer Police Cadet, you will take part in a 12 month programme.
The training sessions take place on a Monday evening from 7pm to 9pm. The voluntary work that you will undertake can be completed to fit in with your educational or work commitments. The hours can be completed to suit you.
What are the entry requirements?
To become a Volunteer Police Cadet you must:
- Be aged between 15 and 18 to apply
- Have a satisfactory school attendance record
- Answer all questions on the application form
- To be a Volunteer Police Cadet you should:
- Have an interest in police work or your community
- Possess excellent communication and listening skills
- Be able to promote equality and diversity
- Have the ability to make a positive contribution to your community
- Promote the Police Cadet programme and Cheshire Constabulary
What is the recruitment process?
- You will need to complete an application form
- Attend an interview
- Pass police vetting and reference checks
For further information please email us.