Volunteer police cadets
Our next cadet programmes will run in 2021, further information will be posted on this website when dates have been confirmed.
If you would like to register your interest for the 2021 programme please visit our expression of interest page.
What is the Volunteer Police Cadet Programme?
The Volunteer Police Cadet programme provides an opportunity for young people aged between 15 and 17 to join the policing family and gain an insight into community policing.
The programme has been designed to develop key life skills, enhance your CV and help to prepare you for your future career, whether this is with the police service or another profession.
The programme runs for a year and training sessions take place every fortnight during the week. We currently run programmes throughout Cheshire with new groups starting every March.
In addition to the training sessions you will also complete 40 hours of voluntary work in your community that you will complete over the year to fit alongside your education and any extra-curricular activities.
You will be expected to wear a police cadet uniform throughout the programme.
What will I gain from joining the police cadet programme?
- You will make new friends with similar interests
- Your self-confidence will improve
- You will be able to talk to adults and members of the public with confidence
- You will engage in volunteering which will give you new experiences
- You will meet officers and police staff who can give you accurate information about their roles and experiences
- You will learn how to complete pocket note book entries, a basic skill used by all police officers
- You will learn about anti-social behaviour and the impact on communities and individuals
- You will learn how to use a police radio and the phonetic alphabet
- You will visit the Police Museum where you can try on old uniforms and sit in the cell
What commitment do I need to make?
You need to commit to attend sessions throughout the year and complete 40 hours voluntary work by the end of the programme
What are the entry requirements?
To become a Volunteer Police Cadet you must:
- Be aged between 15 and 17 when applying
- Have an interest in police work or your community
- Be able to work in a group and contribute
- Be able to listen to other peoples opinions and respect them
What is the recruitment process?
- You will need to complete an application form
- Attend a group assessment session
- Pass police vetting and reference checks
For further information please email us.